Author Topic: BU's Foul Mood Thread  (Read 82343 times)

Online Buster's Uncle

• Celebrating AC2's 10th Year- Little Terraformer That Could
  • Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  
  • AC2 is my instrument, my heart, as I play my song.
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder AC2 Wiki contributor Downloads Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
Re: BU's Foul Mood Thread
« Reply #2985 on: February 09, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
Nah.  Pipplz on the innerwebs being stupid.

Offline Rusty Edge

Re: Re: BU's Foul Mood Thread
« Reply #2986 on: February 10, 2021, 12:56:08 AM »
I wonder why it's so quiet this week.  Not what I've come to expect when I'm productive and active.

Guess I'd rather read than open the lap top this month. Some days I don't notice that I neglected to check e-mail, etc. We're in a cold snap and mostly at home, so books are mostly how I travel since Covid began.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder AC2 Wiki contributor Downloads Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2987 on: February 10, 2021, 01:08:28 AM »
I'm pretty distracted, too, but you know, forum stuff.  You Uno and Lori all going through stuff at the same time is not ideal.

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #2988 on: February 10, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »
I'm pretty distracted, too, but you know, forum stuff.  You Uno and Lori all going through stuff at the same time is not ideal.

Okay. I've got afternoon appointments today, tomorrow, and friday, but I'll make an effort. I tried  yesterday, but I was pretty tired and lost my page with a stray keystroke.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2989 on: February 10, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »
[ctrl]z didn't work?

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #2990 on: February 10, 2021, 10:12:28 PM »
[ctrl]z didn't work?

Guess I don't know that command.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2991 on: February 10, 2021, 11:13:41 PM »
Undo, man.

I finally implemented the idea, 11 years later, of starting a Notepad file on Momma's desktop - the very first thing I put in was "[ctrl]z=undo."  She has trouble retaining those keybord shortcuts for some reason.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2992 on: February 19, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »
There are times -nothing this week- on the innerwebs when I find myself thinking, mental voice a bit low and slow, "You wouldn't say that to my face."

I am not a small man, for all that I pride myself on being peaceful.  It doesn't come all that naturally -I'm angry, and I learned the hard way that I'm very good at violence- but it's the right way to be, peaceful.

-And IRL, for all that, I don't often find people confusing me with someone they can TALK to that way.  It just bugs me, people on the nets, who wouldn't dare talk to me that way in person.

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #2993 on: February 19, 2021, 07:39:47 PM »

Oh, I am living this hell now. 

Rewind back to Alec being in HS.  One of the huge areas we would argue about was his math homework, specifically the ALEKS math.  I don't know if state or district, but it was a requirement.  And Alec would just tell us basically he didn't want to do it. 

Only now am I beginning to understand the horror that is ALEKS. 

https://www.aleks.com/

My first brush with ALEKS was earlier this year when Talia asked for help with math homework.  Algebraic equations with fractions is not an unusual thing to struggle with, so I sat down...and on the screen was the most random assortment of fractions I've ever witnessed. 

ALEKS is truly random.  It's given 'this kid needs to learn (empty box)x * empty box = empty box, or similar, and it spawns random numbers into the empty boxes.  This means both numerators and denominators.  This first problem I was confronted with to simplify ended up something like 79/90.  While this was a perfectly fine answer, it was so overly complicated that she was struggling not with the concept but what the hell a common denominator was going to be with the random assortment when the assignments in the book are focusing on easy to find common denominators so the students get used to the CONCEPT.   

There was a problem or two over the year that was this seemingly random assortment that would trip her up and we'd have to talk about it.  Fast forward to this week, and the true horror of ALEKS. 

ALEKS Adapts to Each Student
ALEKS helps students master course topics through a continuous cycle of mastery, knowledge retention, and positive feedback. Each student begins a new course with a unique set of knowledge and prerequisite gaps to fill. By determining the student's baseline of knowledge, ALEKS creates an individual and dynamic path to success where students learn and then master topics. ALEKS has helped over 25,000,000 students and counting.

Let that soak in for just a second. 

Sounds great right?  A perfect solution. 

But ALEKS DOES NOT STOP. 

Talia's homework is to do X ALEKS topics a week.  THE PROBLEM is she is now far ahead of what she is learning in class on her ALEKS because she mastered the topics too quick.  This means she don't know what she's supposed to even do to begin with.  Which means I get to be the teacher....and enter the above. 

We're getting the answers right, but ALEKS doesn't like the steps I've taught her to get there. 

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2994 on: March 01, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
No good dead goes unpunished, and gamers are jerks.  ;no ;nod

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2995 on: March 18, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
...I seem to be settling down.   Getting enough sleep lately is largely to do with going to bed on time.  Whether this is stabilizing or a transition back to low-energy is hard to say.  I've been working on themes since Saturday, is why no new smiles for a few days -  I'm still productive...

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2996 on: March 31, 2021, 02:37:43 AM »
...I been getting enough sleep to live on.  Only about six hours, usually, but almost always at least that, and the daily headaches have gone away...

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #2997 on: March 31, 2021, 02:59:15 AM »
A day without headaches is a good day, especially in the spring.

Offline Geo

« Reply #2998 on: March 31, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
A day without headaches is a good day, especially in the spring.

Luckily, in my case, it means a day without a nose feeling like its obstructed is a good day.
But sometimes headaches do happen.

Today is not one of those lucky days. We have 24°C here and clear skies, so pollen are in full gear.
And yes, it is unseasonably warm. Hottest March day since the Meteo started making stats over a century ago.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Ascend
  • €939
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2999 on: April 07, 2021, 01:20:33 AM »
;cheerlead
Very happy news - I've always been frustrated that the forum logo hyperlinked to the useless Front Page, not the forum root index.  The logo is big compared to the nav buttons, and for several years, the Front Page would take over a minute to load when I slipped and accidentally clicked the logo.  Wouldn't it be convenient to just click on the logo to go to the root?

Well, with Draz' guidance -and example in this Default theme Saturday- I've fixed that hyperlink in all of the themes excepting Astronomy, Enterprise, and Gone Fishin' -sorry Rusty- which never had the hyperlinks - Draz is going to look into that.

-In related news, the code boxes no longer break page width in this and several themes.  I'll get the fix pasted in the rest of the themes shortly.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
20 (7%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
83 (30%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
30 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
87 (31%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
11 (3%)
No patch
-=-
15 (5%)
Total Members Voted: 276
AC2 Wiki Logo
-click pic for wik-

* Random quote

I loved my chosen. How then to face the day when she left me? So I took from her body a single cell, perhaps to love her again.
~Commissioner Pravin Lal 'Time of Bereavement'

* Select your theme