A population boom is one of the major advantages that can be gained in the game. By reaching +6 Growth in a base, the base's population will grow by 1 per turn with a few restrictions.
- Population boom growth is still limited by the base's current population limit
- The base must have a net gain of at least 2 nutrients
Every faction can gain +2 growth from the following.
Depending on faction aversion, one or more society models can be used to obtain the remaining +Growth upon researching the appropriate technological advance.
- Democratic + Planned + Children's Creche = +6 growth for most factions
- Democratic + Children's Creche + Golden Age = +6 growth for factions averse to Planned such as the Morganites
The "odd growth" factions, those that start with a +1 or -1 Growth, must aim for +7 growth instead.
- The Pirates and the Cybernetic Consciousness begin with -1 Growth. Democratic + Planned + Children's Creche = halved food requirements compared to normal base growth. But to gain a population boom a fourth +2 Growth from either a Golden Age or Eudaimonia would be needed.
- The Human Hive begins with +1 Growth but has an aversion to Democratic. Planned + Children's Creche = halved food requirements compared to normal base growth. It's left as an exercise to the reader whether it's worthwhile generating enough Psych to conduct a Golden Age, waiting until Eudaimonia, or being satisfied with halved nutrient requirements for growth.
Alternatively, the faction in a game controlling the Cloning Vats forces all of their bases into population boom mode.