Author Topic: Festivus (Uno's annual holidayish type discussions)  (Read 985 times)

Offline Geo

Re: Festivus (Uno's annual holidayish type discussions)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »
hEt, Kyle, and myself are working Christmas eve, which makes Christmas morning difficult (Kyle and hEt both night shifters)  Christmas Eve breakfast with my family cancelled as a result.  Christmas Morning breakfast with hEt's family cancelled. 

Nightshifts on Christmas? Are they working in civil services or something (hospital, fireguard,...)

At my work (food distribution center) the afternoon shifts on both Christmas Eve en New Year's Eve are always replaced with a Saturday shift earlier in the month.

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
hEt works in a hospital.  I could go on about how they've changed the scheduling for holidays at length, but suffice it to say she's royally getting the shaft this year.  Not so much the xmas eve for her, we're used to that, it's the rest of the week that's killer. 

Kyle's a manager at the UPS sort facility.  UPS is delivering Christmas day...

Offline Geo

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2019, 12:08:18 AM »
Yeah, that's clear enough in HeT's case.
In Kyle's case, can't imagine many people are ready to face deliveries on Christmas morning though. And in the afternoon lots of people are probably visiting relatives.

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 02:11:31 AM »
Yeah, that's clear enough in HeT's case.
In Kyle's case, can't imagine many people are ready to face deliveries on Christmas morning though. And in the afternoon lots of people are probably visiting relatives.

Amazon thinks otherwise. 

Offline E_T

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2019, 03:53:53 AM »
and if FedEX and UPS won't deliver it on Xmas, amazon will (and take more away from the others than they can afford to lose, but then that doesn't count the human cost from that...)
Three time Hugo Award Winning http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php
Worship the Comic here
Get your schlock mercenary fix here

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 03:06:14 AM »
and if FedEX and UPS won't deliver it on Xmas, amazon will (and take more away from the others than they can afford to lose, but then that doesn't count the human cost from that...)

Sundays too...

I actually think FedEx/UPS are being stupid as Amazon is using them as a stop gap while they build a better delivery fleet.  They'd be better off letting Amazon not be able to meet the ludicrous delivery schedule. 

I really wish Amazon would allow me to choose my delivery service, not just a number of days.  I'd be more likely to buy from there.

I am quite the fan of the UPS deliver to an access point service.  Nothing on my step to be stolen.  I've actually considered paying extra for one of their addresses. 

Offline Geo

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
Ah yes, I didn't think of simply dropping a package on a clients doorstep.
Over here the deliverer needs to have deliveries signed of. Meaning neighbours are often called upon to sign.

Offline E_T

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
You even put in that "Signature Required" thing when setting up the shipping and they still drop it on doorstep, without knocking.  I don't know now many times that I have heard them right outside the door (having not even knocked, mind you) dropping package off and leaving.  Typically, by the time I have gotten to the door, they are just getting back into truck and leaving (or are just going around the bend in the walkway).
Three time Hugo Award Winning http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php
Worship the Comic here
Get your schlock mercenary fix here

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
17 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
8 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
69 (27%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
25 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (34%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (2%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (4%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 247
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

Our ancestors harnessed the power of a sun, and so again shall we.
~Comissioner Pravin Lal 'The Science of Our Fathers'

* Select your theme