The ecological damage formula is complex:
- For each base total the number of Mines, Solar Collectors, Farms, Soil Enrichers, Roads, Mag Tubes, Condensers, Mirrors, and Boreholes. Items in squares which are actually being worked count double.
- Add an extra +8 for each Borehole, +6 for each Mirror, and +4 for each Condenser.
- Subtract 1 for each Forest.
- Halve if base has Tree Farm, and Eliminate if also has Hybrid Forest.
- Divide this value by 8, and reduce by up to 16 plus # of previous damages. Set this number aside.
- Take the number of minerals produced this turn (but not from Orbit)
- If result from 5 was reduced by less than 16+#, reduce result 6 by remaining amount.
- Divide minerals by 1 plus # of Centauri Preserve, Temple of Planet, Nanoreplicator.
- Sum the values of (5) and (8), and add +5 for each major atrocity.
- If Alpha Prime is at perihelion (20 years out of every 80), double your value.
Ecology% = (ValueFromStep10) * Difficulty * Technologies * (3-PLANET) * LIFE / 300
Difficulty = Normally 3, but 5 on two highest two difficulty levels.
Technologies = Number of technologies discovered
PLANET = Social Engineering PLANET value
LIFE = Native life level (1-3) from Custom Start
See also Ecology (Revised).