Community > Council Room

Let's work out some official rules for this forum.

<< < (3/30) > >>

t_ras:

--- Quote from: BUncle on November 16, 2012, 09:10:19 PM ---You notice that all of us have proposed rules based on our own bed past experiences at other forums?  I don't know what to make of that.

I still wonder if a lot of this shouldn't be covered by simple "No trolling" and "No spamming" rules, with extensive commentary appended - sort of a Talmud to the actual rules' Torah...

--- End quote ---

It might be the solution. As I wrote: Making a set of generic rules and then a set of recomendations to exsplain it.
I dont know if the goys know whats Torah and Talmud are ;) but this would be the perfect explenation.

Yitzi:

--- Quote from: BUncle on November 16, 2012, 09:10:19 PM ---You notice that all of us have proposed rules based on our own bed past experiences at other forums?  I don't know what to make of that.
--- End quote ---

Because bad experiences are the best guide of what a site needs.

--- Quote ---I still wonder if a lot of this shouldn't be covered by simple "No trolling" and "No spamming" rules, with extensive commentary appended - sort of a Talmud to the actual rules' Torah...

--- End quote ---

That's not really a perfect analogy unless you're planning to make the commentary unwritten for as long as possible, but yes, having basic rules with commentary explaining the details is definitely the way to go.

--- Quote from: Unorthodox on November 16, 2012, 10:37:11 PM ---No personal attacks. 

NO caveats about it's ok here, but not here, but only if you're only teasing.  I could list the reasons, but suffice it to say the more exceptions you make the more you beg for the random bottom feeder to push the limits.  Just no.  And banhammer anyone that don't like it to the stoneage.
--- End quote ---

That really prevents a certain sort of interaction that would contribute to the forum.  I get the idea that "anyone who don't like it" would include BUncle.

--- Quote ---Depending on ownership stances on piracy, maybe a rule that we do not promote illegal activities, and maybe something about no hot-linking  to photos you don't own.   
--- End quote ---

I don't think hot-linking is really a problem unless the hot-link source really dislikes it...a rule that we do not promote illegal activities might be a good idea, though (although technically I think that means that anyone who purchased the GOG version of the game isn't allowed to download unofficial patches due to the EULA.)

--- Quote ---Perhaps it's coincidence, but the failures all were lenient on personal attacks, the successes were not.
--- End quote ---

Leniency on personal attacks is definitely out of the question.  The ban on personal attacks has to be strictly enforced...it just doesn't have to be absolutely comprehensive.

Buster's Uncle:
...It's not like I'd be as happy if I couldn't make fun of Uno a little...

Unorthodox:

--- Quote from: Yitzi on November 18, 2012, 12:19:13 AM ---

That really prevents a certain sort of interaction that would contribute to the forum.  I get the idea that "anyone who don't like it" would include BUncle.

--- End quote ---

It boils down to which would contribute more.  I stand by my no nonsense philosophy.  It's not for everyone, no. 

It's been my experience that artists (and I would count modders among them) tend to be rather sensitive folks who don't take kindly to a lot of that stuff.  Those are the people I would like to get to know and attract. 

Buster's Uncle:
You have a point.  We definitely want  those guys.

But I want neither a police state nor a cuddly bunny forum.  I mean, I don't know of a cuddly bunny 4x forum, but I don't care for us to try to fill that niche and police state is already taken.  If I can't joke around a little, there's no point in me being here, and I can hardly forbid others what I allow myself, in all fairness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version