Author Topic: Badges Awarded.  (Read 178 times)

Online Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €238
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  
  • AC2 is my instrument, my heart, as I play my song.
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder AC2 Wiki contributor Downloads Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
Badges Awarded.
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
Alpha Centauri Bear was good enough last week to ask me about a couple forum contribution badges he'd qualified for - finally awarded.

He also pointed out Induktio, Nevill, Mercantile Interest, EmpathCrawler, dino and Tayta Malikai as deserving.  Are we missing anyone for something badge-worthy?  Are we missing any badges?

-I've also laid only the third AC2 Hall of Fame badge ever awarded on bvanevery.  He gives me more of a pain than anyone ever un-perma'd here - and works harder to promote/build/support AC2 than anyone but me and sisko; it is deeply appreciated, and he really rated another badge while I was in there...

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
  • Librarian
  • €2310
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
  • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
  • AC2 Hall Of Fame AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Badges Awarded.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »
Ha!  I only just noticed the badge today.  I was trying to figure out what it meant, especially since there are only 3 of us.  I was trying to figure out if it had something to do with a posts per day threshold.  I came here to ask, if I'm really that long winded?   ;lol

Thanks!

And thanks for specifically noticing a promotional contribution.  I just had exactly the opposite experience with the moderator of r/alphacentauri and will not be setting foot there again.  I've spent years trying to boost up the traffic of that sad little sub, and arguably with some success.  When the "real center", r/4Xgaming, has 20x the membership and is so much better run, by people who have really given blood, sweat, and tears for the genre.

I think the r/alphacentauri mod is just some part timer, moderating a bunch of different subs.  They have treated me pretty much like I'm some kind of troll or problem child, because I have strong opinions about the game and will voice them.  Comments that nobody even bats an eyelash about in r/4Xgaming, because it's expected that people will debate these games.  No acknowledgement or even memory of all the things I've done to Make SMAC Great Again.  Like any time I interact with that mod, we're starting over from zero.  "Who are you?"  Not even the slightest basic respect, just "do I what I say or I'll ban you".

r/alphacentauri can get its promotional boosting from somewhere else now.  If there's now a critical mass of people to carry that ball, fine, whatever.  Don't care.  Won't shock me if it gets quieter over time, not louder.  It doesn't have the leadership needed to thrive, and I'm not real convinced that "community organics on Reddit" will carry such things alone.  We'll see.  I'll be interested to see what the sub's health is a year from now.

I'd seize power if there was a way to do that, but AFAICT there isn't.  I don't think making a competing group like r/SMACmods is productive at this time.  I'll stick to r/4Xgaming, with the somewhat respectable 20k membership and a constant influx of "new blood" that will try SMAC.

Anyways, thanks again.  This is the long explanation of why that means something to me.  I'm actually starting feel like there's something like community growth on AC2.  It feels a bit different than a few years ago.  More energy.

Online Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €238
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  
  • AC2 is my instrument, my heart, as I play my song.
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder AC2 Wiki contributor Downloads Contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
This is how community building works, of course; job one is to keep generating content, anything relevant to look at and/or read.  -Then you gotta do a little promoting.  Tends to take a few years patient work to amount to something.

Incidentally, we've got a link to our mirror of the defunct official site in the Wikipedia AC article - if we had substantial back-linked YouTube content and I stepped up our Facebook presence, we'd have hit the triple crown of SEO...

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
  • Librarian
  • €2310
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
  • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
  • AC2 Hall Of Fame AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by YouTube for 4X, particularly for an older game.  I just can't imagine sitting still for someone's "straight play" of SMAC.  There are people on YouTube doing this sort of thing, but the only ones I've noticed with a lot of audience, are "game reviewers / Let's Players" who are doing many games, not just SMAC.  I don't think that's going to result in any traffic direction here.

Offline Tayta Malikai

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Ah, I didn't realize Tim was the one who brought up the subject. Much appreciated!

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
77 (29%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
29 (11%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (32%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
13 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 262
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

If you can discover a better way of life than office-holding for your future rulers, a well-governed city becomes a possibility. For only in such a state will those rule who are truly rich, not in gold, but in the wealth that makes happiness?a good and wise life.
~Plato 'The Republic', Datalinks

* Select your theme