Author Topic: The Lazy Gourmet  (Read 43034 times)

Offline Rusty Edge

Re: The Lazy Gourmet
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2020, 01:35:54 AM »
I thought you were supposed to make a sourdough starter.

That seems to be the fad. I had a sourdough starter going, last fall, but ditched it before I traveled. It is a way to pass the time, and the sourdough fermentation process destroys some of the harmful glutens and other lectins. Ultimately I decided that bread is best used as a treat, rather than a staple. It's calories without much micronutrients.

Offline Geo

« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
Ultimately I decided that bread is best used as a treat, rather than a staple. It's calories without much micronutrients.

My tummy disagrees with you, especially for freshly baked bread rolls. ;morganercise

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
I've been happy to see real sourdough back in the store.  Bread itself is hard enough at altitude, but sourdough does NOT like our dry air coupled with the altitude. 

My go-to for locally made bread is rye. 

Offline Elok

« Reply #573 on: April 28, 2020, 08:38:08 PM »
Just discovered the joy of homemade corn tacos.  Those little corn tortillas are cheap, and I had some leftover bacon grease and adobo pork that needed using up.  I fried the tortillas in the grease, took them out when they got somewhat leathery, slapped some pork on with cheese and sour cream and folded it over.  It stiffened shortly after, forming a semisolid shell.  They were slightly effort-intensive but quite tasty.

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #574 on: May 17, 2020, 03:17:47 AM »
Our Easter dinner was steak teriyaki and baked potatoes. Best flavor ever.

My wife prefers the Weber to the Traeger for steaks so that's what I used, but I improved the flavor this time by waiting until the coals were perfect for cooking, and then adding a handful of Traeger oak pellets for smokiness. Caution, there is a minute or two of flare-up when you add the pellets.

Been grilling again. Grilled some pizzas, 4 variations. The Pizza god is, of course correct- more cheeses, more better. Next time I make one it will be a cheese crust- I'm thinking based upon Parmesan  Regianno and Gruyere, with fresh Mozzerella  and probably Manchego and/or Asiago on top.

====

I was using the Webber tonight, because the Mrs. prefers it for burgers and steaks.  Also, after researching on the internet there is a grilling/smoking controversy, just as there is one about the right way to cook a steak. This one suggests that you not do seafood in a Traegger, unless you have a dedicated one, because they aren't easy to clean completely (Usually not for several meals) . If you don't have a dedicated seafood machine or thoroughly clean between, some people can taste fishiness in their meat. So for now I am only doing seafood in my Webber.   

SO, first I cooked a burger, three steaks, and a brat.  I got the coals just right, then took a fist full of  oak pellets and immersed them in water for about 3 seconds, then tossed them on the grill, and knocked the stragglers out of the grate and onto the coals. Excellent flavor, eye burning smoke, but no flare-ups.

Then, after I took the meat off, I took a fist full of Alder pellets, held them under a faucet for 3 seconds, then tossed them on the grill and knocked the straggler pellets through the grate onto the coals. I had an ahi tuna steak, a salmon steak ( Sockeye, I think, possibly Coho ) and two scallops wrapped in bacon. The bacon had been cooked in the oven to render most of the fat, but it was still flexible enough to wrap around a scallop and secure in place with a toothpick.  I put all of the seafood on a soaked cedar shake, and grilled it for 15 minutes. I didn't flip anything and probably should have. Regardless, I could taste the alder smoke.

So it was a major success. I've concluded that you don't need a pricey pellet grill to develop all of these flavors, just a fist full of wet pellets when you're ready to cook to serve as a sort of seasoning.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Traegger.  I wish I'd had one sooner. It's a precision wood fired convection oven, suitable for baking, smoking, slow roasting, etc. You don't have to worry about a torch side and a cold side while cooking in the wind and cold. With it's temp sensor and meat probe, you have amazing control between 165 and 450 in 5 degree increments. Except for the bottom edges, which are hotter, the rest of the grilling area is remarkably consistent on both levels.

So, at this point I prefer Alder for seafood, Apple for pork and chicken, and Oak for beef and baking. Well, I always liked hickory and mesquite charcoal for beef/turkey and pork, too, but the Mrs. does not. So I haven't considered those in the last 15 years.    I've used the Traegger signature blend, which is a good all purpose pellet if you only want one.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
76 (29%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
27 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (32%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 258
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

Our first challenge is to create an entire economic infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth. No gradual evolution from previous economic systems is possible, because there is no previous economic system. Each interdependent piece must be materialized simultaneously and in perfect working order.. otherwise the system will crash out before it ever gets off the ground.
~CEO Nwabudike Morgan 'The Centauri Monopoly'

* Select your theme