Author Topic: SMAX - The Will to Power - mod  (Read 19327 times)

Offline MercantileInterest

Re: SMAX - The Will to Power - mod
« Reply #780 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:12 AM »
Worth asking: does Will to Power do anything about the awful faction placement algorithm?

« Reply #781 on: July 25, 2020, 04:20:08 AM »
Worth asking: does Will to Power do anything about the awful faction placement algorithm?

WTP is built on top of Thinker which does. Still variations in placement could be huge. It is impossible to account for everything and make everybody equal.
Tim

« Reply #782 on: July 25, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »
Played first 30 turns with University. Some thoughts:

Good to start with two formers. I normally use a modded version of the game that replaces the Mining Laser unit found in the Unity Wreckage with a 'Unity Agri-Bot' which is a former on wheels, representing some top-of-the-line equipment brought from Earth. Mining Laser is a bad joke, so this makes the Wreckage a bit more interesting. Unity Agri-Bots would make more exciting starting units than the two basic formers. Being able to build the former 'weapon' without any prerequisites would be good.

No additional starting colony pods. See it can be modded in the thinker.ini but what's the reasoning? Seems more likely to slow down the early game than anything else.

Faction placement algorithm was noticeably improved over the default on the huge map of Planet.

Next part is theory on how the game could work rather than commentary on the mod but I'd like your opinion:

SMAC is successor to Civ and CivII. Those games simulate history, in which tribes slowly expand for thousands of years due to primitive technology and high mortality. Childbirth was risky work in the stone age. SMAC uses the same mechanic. I've been pondering for some time, the idea of a SMAC which simulates a small band of highly talented colonists with high technology and high fertility struggling to utilize the resources found on the world.

Basic concept is default population growth would be much higher but, correspondingly, new colony pods would cost an enormous amount of resources. Much easier to expand a base than found a new one! Presently, each population represents 10,000 colonists. This means, with eight landing pods, the UNITY carried 160,000 passengers. Prefer the idea of each population representing 1,000 colonists. Of course, this means bases would be capped at 7,000 without a hab complex, which seems a little low and doesn't line up with high default growth, so suggest raising this value up to 12.

I've done some testing with this concept and it proved a lot of fun but I never finished the mod.

Have talked about this idea before but not, I think, in this thread. Let me know what you think.

« Reply #783 on: July 25, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Basic concept is default population growth would be much higher but, correspondingly, new colony pods would cost an enormous amount of resources. Much easier to expand a base than found a new one!

I've tried this. People didn't like it. They want spam colonies.
Tim

« Reply #784 on: July 25, 2020, 05:57:11 AM »
What mechanic did you implement for faster base growth?

« Reply #785 on: July 25, 2020, 06:19:33 AM »
With this type of mechanic, early game is a bit slow. I couldn't fix this with txt editing but your ini has what could be the solution: start each faction with an additional 2-3 colony pods and scout patrols. That way, there's still lots going on but you can't just rush into base spam.

« Reply #786 on: July 25, 2020, 01:18:22 PM »
What mechanic did you implement for faster base growth?

Not faster growth, just costlier colony as you proposed: "new colony pods would cost an enormous amount of resources".
Tim

« Reply #787 on: July 25, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
Regarding faster growth. It's already quite fast with free formers and lifted restrictions. Much faster than vanilla at least. This is a 4X game that goes from small of everything (bases, units, facilities, actions) to a lot of everything. That is the foundation paradigm. The pace is thoroughly measured to fit into 400 turns time frame. Any drastic change in pace will throw it off track. That includes both expanding and base growth. Any faster growth will create tons of other problems: like hitting population limit too early, constant drone quelling, etc. Let's not break what works.
Tim

« Reply #788 on: July 25, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
# Version 99

* Pressure Dome increases minerals by 50% instead of improving base tile. Same effect as for Recycling Tank since it replaces it.

Missed this at first. Poor sea bases. 😢
Tim

« Reply #789 on: July 27, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
# Version 101

* Native life abundance modification.
   * Frequency of appearance is based on difficulty level rather than native life level.
   * Natives appears more often.
   * Natives do not suddenly die every 8th turn.

This is in attempt to put early expansion in check. I don't absolutely mind expanding and spamming colonies. However, it often seems like an empty space to take. I would send and unprotected colony into wilderness and build unprotected base and leave it for few turns, etc. Too cakewalky. This change should build up a fight a little bit.
Tim

« Reply #790 on: July 27, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
I've tried for a while to distinguish the Gaian and Cultist play-styles more than in vanilla. The game already allows faction specific fungal benefits, so, if the Cult gains one or two of these, it can be modded to a play-style with very little need to terraform. This goes well with IND and ECON penalties and distinguishes them from all the other factions.

The Gaians could benefit from an extra nutrient on forest tiles. Have tinkered with giving them free forests but this gives too much energy, especially in the early game. Default 2-2-1 forests are powerful, so reduced the Gaian population cap from 7 to 4, which fits nicely into their low population, low environmental footprint theme.

By the way, unit and facility costs in Will to Power seem much higher than they used to be. Seems to force the player towards the new version of recycling tanks.

« Reply #791 on: July 27, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
unit and facility costs in Will to Power seem much higher than they used to be. Seems to force the player towards the new version of recycling tanks.

Used to be in previous versions or in vanilla? Combat unit cost hasn't changed. Colony and former cost was reduced. What gets higher? Can you give examples?
With new version of recycling tanks following mineral multiplier facilities cost increased and not even all of them. I also increased some late game super multipliers like fusion/quantum labs, etc. Not by much, though.
Tim

« Reply #792 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »
Haven't played in a while, so may just be misremembering prices.

« Reply #793 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:37 PM »
Four turns to construct a solar collector in alphax:

Solar Collector,  None,    Tidal Harness,    None,     4,  Construct $STR0, S, S

But, in game, it takes 6 turns. Is that value hardcoded?

« Reply #794 on: July 27, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
Four turns to construct a solar collector in alphax:

Solar Collector,  None,    Tidal Harness,    None,     4,  Construct $STR0, S, S

But, in game, it takes 6 turns. Is that value hardcoded?

Nope. It does require 4 turns on flat land. +2 for each rockiness level.
Tim

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
77 (29%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
29 (11%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (32%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
13 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 262
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

Industrial Grade Nano-Paste, one of Planet's most valuable commodities, can also be one of its most dangerous. Simply pour out several canisters, slide in a programming transponder, and step well away while the stuff cooks. In under an hour the nano will use available materials to assemble a small factory, a hovertank, or enough rifles to equip a regiment.
~Col. Corazon Santiago 'Planet: A Survivalist's Guide'

* Select your theme