Author Topic: Adding new chassis  (Read 361 times)

Offline MinusOne

Adding new chassis
« on: March 30, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • There is some mods for configs, some .exe patches, but i never seen mods that changes the models of units or adding some new chassis, which is strange. Is there some ways to add new chassis type, and, maybe, give to it some special properties without patching the .exe file?

(I thought about adding the airships, which is supposed to be the early aviation and be the good air transport, as they meant to be something like unarmed and unarmored gravships, but now it seems to be impossible for me, as it requires much more than adding a couple of lines in alphax.txt)
    Btw, if you saw some mods with 3d-models, post it here - it will be interesting for me too.

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
    • Librarian
    • €1131
    • View Inventory
    • Send /Gift
    • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
    • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
    • AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    Re: Adding new chassis
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't think there's any way to do it from just a *.txt file.  I do remember looking into it, and trying to add #CHASSIS entries, and posting about it, and getting no result at all.

Offline Maximus Thalos

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • I doubt you can add a new unit but rather change on of the existing one. Like the grave ship. I was going to mess with the idea but I'm too deep into my current mod.

Offline Geo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Your new 'graphic' would need to match the number of components (the caviar files used to assemble it ingame) as the old though.
    For example, a new graphical representation of the grav unit might fit with the rover unit.

Offline golingarf

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have been trying to figure this out myself. For example, if I want to change the infantry chassis graphic to the formers chassis graphic, to make them tanks, is that possible? It's interesting that in the whole big graphics thread there is no mention of modding the unit graphics.

Offline scient

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:25:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • The maximum chassis parsed in are 9. So without modifying the code, you would be limited to changing an existing one. The functions that handle drawing unit start with vehdraw_* specifically vehdraw_construct_vehicle(int vehID, Caviar *). These handle logic that parse unit data and interface with Caviar functions. I haven't really spent that much time looking into these yet.

Offline golingarf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 01:18:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • The maximum chassis parsed in are 9. So without modifying the code, you would be limited to changing an existing one. The functions that handle drawing unit start with vehdraw_* specifically vehdraw_construct_vehicle(int vehID, Caviar *). These handle logic that parse unit data and interface with Caviar functions. I haven't really spent that much time looking into these yet.

I'm thinking I might wait for your OpenSMACX project to be functional, rather than trying to putz with this.

Offline Maximus Thalos

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'll give it a shot at some point. Iv'e always thought the grav-ship was a end game super unit and ruined the effort of conquest. And the leap between rover and hover tank was excessive. I think a basic tank, tankette would be a good addition.

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
    • Librarian
    • €1131
    • View Inventory
    • Send /Gift
    • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
    • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
    • AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Super units can be rebalanced for availability and cost.  They don't have to have new artwork.  Did it in my mod.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
    -=-
    16 (6%)
    XP Compatibility patch
    -=-
    8 (3%)
    Gog version for Windows
    -=-
    66 (27%)
    Scient (unofficial) patch
    -=-
    24 (10%)
    Kyrub's latest patch
    -=-
    14 (5%)
    Yitzi's latest patch
    -=-
    83 (34%)
    AC for Mac
    -=-
    2 (0%)
    AC for Linux
    -=-
    5 (2%)
    Gog version for Mac
    -=-
    10 (4%)
    No patch
    -=-
    11 (4%)
    Total Members Voted: 239
    AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

I once walked these shores at night; listening to the waves wash across sand and rock. ^Now I hear the thunder of batteries; which, in as much as it will guarantee the eventual harmony of planet, I find almost as soothing.
    ~Lady Deidre Skye ‘Planet Dreams’

* Select your theme

Facebook Comments