Author Topic: Turning SMAX back into strategy game  (Read 1160 times)

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
  • Librarian
  • €1315
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
  • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
  • AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Turning SMAX back into strategy game
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • A test game has shown that the change to 4:3 odds for PSI attacks, seriously harms the Gaians' ability to make war.  The AI tends to use 3-Res armor for every unit, and these tend to live through mindworm attacks.  Even with a +2 PLANET rating.  Even when attacking from fungal squares.  Even a mindworm leveled up to Great Boil can't be sure of taking a 3-Res enemy down.  It's just not fun to use these offensively weakened mindworms, it's a real drag.

Plus in my mod, a Green economy has -1 SUPPORT and -1 GROWTH.  The Gaians aren't going to crank out lots of mindworms with those penalties.  In fact it's questionable whether the +1 PLANET is worth it, offensively speaking.

Finally, changing the odds does not affect a PLANET faction's ability to capture wild mindworms at all.  It only changes whether it's better to attack or defend.  Anyone who wants to harvest a bunch of Planet Pearls, can do so.  There's simply no answer here.

Now as it happens in my last test game, on a Standard map, I only managed to capture one mindworm and one spore launcher.  Unlike playing on a Huge map, I didn't have vast expanses of unclaimed territory to go hunting in.  I had the Data Angels to the west, and the Peacekeepers to the east.  The Data Angels went to war with me fairly quickly and I was under a lot of pressure just trying to survive and hold them off.  They took 1 of my cities with a mind control probe, and I never got it back before I quit, so the threat was real.  Ultimately, they were outproducing me, which made me realize how weak my mindworms were as a weapons platform.  I didn't have free ones, it was costly to produce new ones, and they didn't do well against comparably expensive enemy units.

Well, that's what playtesting is for.  Attack odds for PSI will remain the same in my mod, at 3:2.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Even when attacking from fungal squares.

This doesn't benefit natives. Attacking to fungus does.

With all of your other bonuses you should have 1.5 * 1.2 = 1.8 multiplier against 1.25 of 3-Res armor (disciplined) = 1.44 odds or 0.6 attack weight which is about 95% winning probability.
    Tim

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
    • Librarian
    • €1315
    • View Inventory
    • Send /Gift
    • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #137 on: November 26, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • I tend to forget attacker or defender on fugus, as it is poorly documented.  Perhaps I should plant some fungus in the way of interloping units, instead of forests.

I'm testing version 1.26 of my mod, where the Gaians do not have any PSI bonus.  They're just straight fighting like any +2 PLANET faction would.  The unit attacked was Commando, not Disciplined.  Commando is parity for Great Boil.  The problem is, it's way easier for the AI to come up with Commando 3-Res units than it is for me to come up with Great Boils.

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
    • Librarian
    • €1315
    • View Inventory
    • Send /Gift
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #138 on: December 04, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • I conclude that a 200% PROTOTYPE penalty is a good change.  The typical drill when making a prototype is to design a cost 20 unit, to minimize how long it takes to get whatever the new weapon, armor, or chassis is.  Well, with a 200% penalty that becomes a cost 60 unit.  An Alien Artifact can provide 50 minerals towards that, putting someone just in reach of instantly finishing a prototype.

Under peaceful circumstances, you can afford to just sit around and wait for it to complete, but rushing with an Artifact is definitely appropriate in close quarters early combat.  Like when you're the Morganites and have no weapons or probe teams, and the Usurpers are right next door making a directed research beeline for weapons and armor.  I held them off with piles of Synthmetal Skirmishers and an internal rail network.  I sent out ships to try to contact other humans, and eventually got a massive technology dump when I reached them and made contact with everyone.

I don't know if the AI can pull all that off, probably they'd just get kicked off the continent and restarted.  But a human player can come up with creative ways to hold off an enemy and get ahead.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    XP Compatibility patch
    -=-
    8 (3%)
    Gog version for Windows
    -=-
    62 (27%)
    Scient (unofficial) patch
    -=-
    22 (9%)
    Kyrub's latest patch
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    Yitzi's latest patch
    -=-
    83 (36%)
    AC for Mac
    -=-
    2 (0%)
    AC for Linux
    -=-
    5 (2%)
    Gog version for Mac
    -=-
    9 (3%)
    No patch
    -=-
    10 (4%)
    Total Members Voted: 229
    AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!
    ~Fedor Petrov (Vice Provost for University Affairs)

* Select your theme

Facebook Comments