Author Topic: SMACX Thinker Mod  (Read 22792 times)

Offline tnevolin

Re: SMACX Thinker Mod
« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2019, 09:42:46 PM »
Another possible adjustment to unit cost may involve reducing number of item ratings. Many people say that SMACX has too many combat items. They keep popping up so frequent during the game that about half of weapon/armor items are never prototyped and used due to lack of time and opportunity. Civ 2 managed to build quite balanced unit set with only 9 distinct attack values ranged 1-12: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12. I don't count values 14 and 16 as they are are used by single special units only (stealth bomber and cruise missile). If we would limit SMAX weapon and armor values to 12 max, that would make higher end unit cost somewhere ~10 rows (~20 with best reactor). It would be absolutely no problem to build such units by the end of the game.
I don't think it make sense to go this path, though. We have what we have and downsizing our weapon inventory by 2/3 doesn't change game flow too much. Although, I'm open for suggestions there.
Tim

Offline Induktio

« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2019, 07:20:04 PM »
Hmm ok. One of the main things to note here is that modifying reactor hit point values was already mentioned in Details.md, in the sense that those values are hardcoded in so many places in the game binary I would seriously discourage anyone from attempting to patch them.

Other than that, if you want to keep adjusting this mod further, it's possible to later squash the items to one commit and merge it to the main branch. But there's a couple of style issues in the code I would adjust to keep it consistent with Thinker. Also I think these changes are extensive enough that they should be opt-in from the config file and a separate alphax.txt could be shipped for them. It's just that Thinker generally tries to avoid changing game mechanic formulas.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #422 on: November 30, 2019, 10:45:01 PM »
Something is going on with prototype cost when you use ability. I don't know if it is your code or remnant of something Yitzi did but it does not add up. I tried freshly installed Thinker 0.7.

560 * 1.5 = 840 and not 750 as on the picture.
Tim

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2019, 01:23:52 AM »
I am playing your mod with my text changes on top of it. Research pace feels much much faster than in vanilla. I doubt this is my changes as I am just rearranging things a little and actually increasing cost of formers and colonies. Yet I need to turn research speed down to 50% and even then I feel like everybody are exchanging technologies at incredible speed.
Did you notice anything like that in your mod? If so, how do you cope with it?
Tim

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #424 on: Today at 01:47:52 AM »
What is your revised_tech_cost for? It doesn't seem to affect a sequence in which technologies are picked by AI. True that in this sequence higher leveled technologies will take somewhat longer to research. However, if you keep the total tech tree research cost the same then it also doesn't change research pace on large scale either.
Tim

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
17 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
8 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
69 (27%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
25 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (34%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (2%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (4%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 247
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

It will happen, and it will happen in our lifetimes. Fusion Power isn't just the future. Fusion Power is now.
~ T. M. Morgan-Reilly, Morgan Metagenics

* Select your theme