Author Topic: SMACX Thinker Mod  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Induktio

Re: SMACX Thinker Mod
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2018, 10:11:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • New release version 0.8 is now available from downloads. Changes since the last release:

* New combat logic for land-based units attempts to do counter attacks more often
    * New code for selecting social engineering priorities
    * AI understands the value of fungus and will sometimes plant it
    * AI sometimes builds native units when the psi bonuses are high enough
    * Faction placement option added: avoid bad spawns on tiny islands and equalize distances to neighbors
    * Landmark selection options added to config
    * Experimental load_expansion option added
    * Many other fixes and adjustments
    * Scient patch updated to v2.0

This new social engineering AI is probably really significant in boosting the AI capabilities. It should be able to fairly reliably pop boom via SE if +4 growth is just attainable. It also takes into consideration the distance to any enemies and might decide to switch out of Free market (or any other model with -police) to avoid the pacifism penalty. I'm not sure yet if the switch happens too soon though. Tell us here your experiences with the new SE priorities.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nice work, Induktio. Let me try it.

Are you still up to some non AI enhancement directly related changes?
    One thing I noticed about psi combat in Yutzi's patch. He made it affect both attack and defense. Which makes sense to me. With vanilla settings goring deeper and deeper on negative PLANET ratings doesn't change things. Player just stop building natives and attack them. The defense strength still the same. That is why FM PLANET penalty is almost not noticeable.
    Tim

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Was just played your new version and observed strange thing. I never made a treaty with Gaian's and started a war against them. Then at some point it turned out we are in truce. Don't remember how it happened but OK. Then at some point they start attacking my units without game telling me that they are doing sneak attack. I've checked the comm screen and it says we are in truce. Yet both of us can attack each other without any problems.
    Tim

Offline Induktio

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • > Then at some point they start attacking my units without game telling me that they are doing sneak attack.

Looks like I can't replicate this bug at all. Did this happen even on the same turn? There's a Gaian laser squad a couple of tiles away, and I did notice one thing. If you station one impact infantry both next to the Cyborg base and the laser squad, it may seem the squad is attacking, even though it is the recon rover *inside* the base that actually counter attacked there. Visually on the map it might look really similar, but the laser squad should not attack in this case.

Are you using the default WorldBuilder btw? It looks like there's quite a lot of small islands. I didn't mention it in the thread yet, but the modded WorldBuilder can be seen in Details.md. Not that it affects this issue though.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • > Then at some point they start attacking my units without game telling me that they are doing sneak attack.

Looks like I can't replicate this bug at all. Did this happen even on the same turn? There's a Gaian laser squad a couple of tiles away, and I did notice one thing. If you station one impact infantry both next to the Cyborg base and the laser squad, it may seem the squad is attacking, even though it is the recon rover *inside* the base that actually counter attacked there. Visually on the map it might look really similar, but the laser squad should not attack in this case.

Are you using the default WorldBuilder btw? It looks like there's quite a lot of small islands. I didn't mention it in the thread yet, but the modded WorldBuilder can be seen in Details.md. Not that it affects this issue though.

I didn't change worldbuilder.
    They didn't just attack me once. We are at war. I attack their units they attack mine. Yet game says we are in truce and we can communicate and trade technologies, etc. I'll see if it happens again.
    Tim

Offline LastConformist

« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dumb question maybe... I found this mod when a renewed interest in SMACX was sparked recently. But I can't figure out how to install it properly. I downloaded the files from Github and thereafter am completely stumped. I do have the GOG version of the game. Ine instructions on Github don't seem to make sense to me. I don't see a terranx_mod.exe. Can anyone help?

Offline dino

« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • It's a bit dumb question indeed. You've probably downloaded source code from github.

Go to github page linked in the opening post, scroll down a bit to the Download section of the description.
    Go Release versions -> Thinker_v0.8.zip -> click download on the top right corner.

Offline Induktio

« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah indeed.  :)

Re: bug reports. Make sure the issues are repeatable given some save file. If the issue cannot be repeated even after multiple save game reloads (in the case it's non-deterministic), then basically nothing can be done about it.

Anyway, currently I'm not planning to mod the combat mechanics in any way. Probably in the future releases I will attempt to streamline or extend the current AI behaviour. There might still be an issue with the foil probe team prototypes not being created properly for the AIs, have to investigate that later.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Speaking about bugs there is a minor one. Saving and loading production queue. Annoys me a little by adding more mouse-clicks but harmless overall.

In original game it saves the current production as well. That is if I save the queue with Scout Patrol currently produced. Then when I load it in new base the currently produced item is changed to Scout Patrol. This is not reflected in UI immediately but if you close the base screen and open it again you'll see it.
    In your mod the currently produced item is not changing for sure.
    This is repeatable I won't attach a save.
    Tim

Offline Induktio

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Speaking about bugs there is a minor one. Saving and loading production queue. Annoys me a little by adding more mouse-clicks but harmless overall.

I think I see the difference you're talking about here. In the base game it saves/reloads the currently produced item along with the queue, but looks like this behaviour was changed in Scient patch v2.0. It's mentioned in Details.md:

50. [EXPLOIT] Using the right click "Save current list to template" and "Load template into list" features of base queue can be used to bypass retooling completely. Fixed so these queue template features only save and load the actual queue and not affect the item currently in production.

Thinker by itself should never modify production items in player bases, so this is entirely a feature caused by the Scient patch. Whether this change should be reverted or patched differently is another question then. Arguably it's slightly annoying if the current production item is not changed along with the queue.

Offline tnevolin

« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well then. If it is an exploit, I'll live with it.
    Tim

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    XP Compatibility patch
    -=-
    8 (3%)
    Gog version for Windows
    -=-
    62 (27%)
    Scient (unofficial) patch
    -=-
    22 (9%)
    Kyrub's latest patch
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    Yitzi's latest patch
    -=-
    83 (36%)
    AC for Mac
    -=-
    2 (0%)
    AC for Linux
    -=-
    5 (2%)
    Gog version for Mac
    -=-
    9 (3%)
    No patch
    -=-
    10 (4%)
    Total Members Voted: 229
    AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist. Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say: It cannot be done.
    ~Academician Prokhor Zakharov @ University Commencement

* Select your theme

Facebook Comments