Author Topic: cost of mind control?  (Read 146 times)

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
  • Librarian
  • €963
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
  • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
  • AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
cost of mind control?
« on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:20 AM »
I can't find a formula for the cost of mind controlling a base.  I've found probe team success rate formulas but that's it.  I think the cost of taking over a base is absurdly low and I want to verify this.  In my mod I've already jacked it to +50% cost for most factions, but it doesn't seem to be enough in practice.  The AI keeps taking over bases too cheaply IMO.

Offline Nexii

Re: cost of mind control?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:51 AM »
Anecdotal but I believe AI may not actually pay the cost to use MC. I want to say I've seen the AI use it when low on credits...anyways here's an old thread about it

https://apolyton.net/forum/other-games/alpha-centauri/147933-how-to-calculate-the-cost-of-city-mind-control/page2

Offline bvanevery

• Emperor of the Tanks
  • Librarian
  • €963
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Allows access to AC2's quiz & chess sections for 144 hours from time of use.  You can't do without Leadship  Must. have. caffeine. -Ahhhhh; good.  
  • Planning for the next 20 years of SMACX.
  • AC Text modder Author of at least one AAR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: cost of mind control?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »
I've spot checked recent games in my mod, and the AI has actually paid mind control costs for bases.  I've seen it drop 400 credits on a takeover, for instance.  To me the question has been, have they paid enough, for the distance from my capitol?  Last time around the answer was "no", so I raised the cost yet again.  Instead of factions being charged a 50% increase in cost, now it's 100%, with exceptions for my 3 probe team oriented factions who still pay 'only' a 50% increase.  In my new version 1.41, I haven't explicitly verified the AI money spent.  However anecdotally, the AI hasn't been bothering me with early base takeovers, and that's the metric I really go by.  Does the game suck, is it annoying?  If it stops being annoying, then I've done my job.

This all implies that I do believe the AI pays for stuff, and that PROBECOST affects it.  But I haven't proven it.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (7%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
72 (28%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
26 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (33%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 253
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

I believe Planet will talk to us if we are willing to listen. These fungal stalks behave as multistate relays: taken together, the neural net connectivity must be staggering. Can a planet be said to have achieved sentience?
~Lady Deidre Skye, Arguments in Council

* Select your theme