Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Alien Crossfire > After Action Reports

Cha Dawn braves the unknown

(1/5) > >>

bvanevery:
My last game sucked.  As the University I got bottled up by both Aliens and was ultimately dispatched by one of Marr's probe teams.  Even though I had prudently researched all needed conquer techs to steamroll him.  I simply never had the productivity to make good on it, and failure to come up with my own probe teams proved my undoing.  So this game, I have a lot to think about as far as fighting Aliens at close quarters at the beginning of the game.

Huge map, average settings, Transcend, random factions including myself.  I draw Cha Dawn.  I start on pretty good land with a bunch of pods around.  I don't settle immediately because I notice a pod on the coast.  If it turns into a profitable resource, I wouldn't have been able to use it from my initial position.  In fact it would have been a "miss", no city would have gotten to use it.  Delaying my capitol turned out to be a smart call as I popped a mineral.  I also cloned my scout, so my 2 garrison units aren't costing me anything.  I built 4 Formers, leaving exploration to the mindworms.

The radar looked like I might be on an island, although it wasn't easy to tell.  Out of caution, and lacking a brain for what the heck else to do right now anyways, I opted for Explore only focus.  It's been awhile since I've played either Cha Dawn or the Gaians, so I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is.  I do remember that relying overly much on mindworms for one's army, does not actually build an effective army.  It takes a long time and one doesn't end up with all that many units.  They can also end up far away from where they're needed.  Whereas, colonizing a "core" empire with sufficient cities is always a safe strategy no matter what the faction.

To the west, I set off an earthquake.  This may have caused land masses to touch that were otherwise separate.  I will never know for sure.  The presence of a Monolith that I didn't pop, is sinister.  The Usurpers are in this game, and not the Caretakers.  Am I about to get a rematch with them?  On the graph the Usurpers are very strong, and all the human factions are weak, like myself.

bvanevery:
Dingy dang, that's the Monsoon Jungle!  And it is surely occupied by whoever popped that Monolith.  I must try very hard not to make any political contact.  I may be able to settle this corner of the Jungle innocently, before anyone can protest that I took over their land.  That's a lot of land and fungus to get through though.  I do have Doctrine:Mobility though, so Doctrine:Flexibility may be just around the corner.

bvanevery:
I meet some Spartans.  We trade lasers for formers and sign a Treaty.  Now I can make some Recon Rovers.  I am doubting that they are the occupants of the Jungle.  They claimed ignorance of Marr's, Zhakarov's, and Roze's comm frequencies.

I've got 2 Artifacts now.  One is in my capitol already.

bvanevery:
I think I just answered the question of who's next door to me.  It's as I feared.  They must have walked over all the fungus to the west, while I was busy defeating mindworms with my own to the south.  Small possibility that they came by sea, but an overland journey is a more likely explanation for the wounds.  Well I hope he doesn't start shooting immediately, and I'll try to stall him with Scouts until my mindworms arrive.  Better a wounded Ogre than a full strength one!

bvanevery:
He didn't speak immediately, but chose to move his Ogre 1 square away.  Next turn he moved to some fungus I presume.  And then he decided to speak.  Without potential for interruption or gainsay, this is all he had to say:

Detailsmarrimminentmarrimminent
Ok.  Guerrilla war it is then.  At least he gave me a little bit of time to get my mindworms closer to home.  My spore launcher has begun shelling him, although I don't know if it does any good.  I've rushed an untrained Recon Rover that only needed 2 turns to finish, so I don't think his Ogre should be able to harm my bases.

My tech outlook is not good.  14 years until the next breakthrough, and I don't have ships yet.  That's with pursuing Explore since Turn 0.  This is a forced situation, I've not been given any choice here.  I can't control earthquakes, I can't control getting Marr sitting on top of the Jungle next to me.  I guess I can talk to Santiago and see if she has anything to trade.

Well indeed she did: Doctrine:Flexibility for Social Psych!  Now I'm switching to Discover focus.  I've already got Biogenetics and Secrets of the Human Brain.  I'm not making the same mistake I made last game, having no probe teams.  With ships I also stand a chance of contacting other factions for trade, although who knows how far away they are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version