Author Topic: EXE patch ideas  (Read 401 times)

Offline dino

EXE patch ideas
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'd like to start a topic that could contain suggestions / ideas for exe patches ( Ytzi's next patches in practice ).
    I'd suggest to limit this thread to ideas that should be reasonably easy to implement given the chellange exe modders face ( assembler :/ ).

Below some of my suggestions:

AI factions
    An option that automatically loads a faction from faction_ai.txt instead of faction.txt when faction is computer controlled.
    Would make AI buffing with custom factions much less of a hassle

SMAC interface graphics
    Make an option that use SMAC start movie and startmenu background also change start menu font color and ingame interface textures.
    (I currently use SMAC textures renamed to SMAX variants ( added '_a' ) they work fine. It would make SMAC in SMAX engine conversion complete.

Option to adjust defensive structures defense bonus
    Since AI can't into maneuvering in the field, I experiment with equalizing weapon and armor stats, but it makes bases with tachyon field too difficult to conquer for AI.

Option to disable stack splash damage when defender is destroyed in regular attack.
    Again, since AI can't into maneuvering in the field,  human player can easily devastate its stack of any size, with a few times smaller stack of rovers.

AI disband or upgrade obsolete designs
    Easy to conquer bases chock full of obsolete units eating into AI mineral output are scourge of the AIs. It could be limited to units with defensive plan.
    Because obsolete offensive units exploring the map, gathering pods, planet pearls and making contact with other factions, or destroing terrain improvemnts, formers and crawlers are useful.

Along the same lines a routine that would prevent to build more units if unit support exceeds a certain percentage of base mineral output would help a great deal with proper development.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:32:47 PM by dino »

Offline MercantileInterest

Re: EXE patch ideas
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yitzi hasn't been here for a while. He has given much to the cause. *salutes*

Offline gwillybj

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yitzi ;llap

I've been modifying my alphax.txt for years - all the way back to when I started playing in 2000. Yitzi's terranx.exe patches and alphax.txt additions have helped me in many ways. SMAX has become something I can't put down in favor of anything else. Sometimes I might play a few games of Space Empires IV, or get down to earth and play an all-out wargame in The Operational Art of War III, but SMAX always pulls me back.
    Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ― Arthur C. Clarke
    Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt. (They change their sky, not their soul, who rush across the sea.) ― Horace, The Odes of Horace

Offline Yitzi

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yitzi hasn't been here for a while. He has given much to the cause. *salutes*

Yeah, the job search has taken a lot of my energy, particularly when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  Now that I've decided against actuary and in favor of software engineering, I'll probably be getting back to at least some extent.

Online BUncle

• Through kittehz, I
    • Transcend
    • €351
    • View Inventory
    • Send /Gift
    • Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  
    • AC2 is my instrument, my heart, as I play my song.
    • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder Downloads Contributor AC2 Wiki contributor
      • View Profile
      • My Custom Factions
      • Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:51:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • [shrugs]  I've come to be quite fond of you just for you, independent of your monolithic value to the community.  I hope it works out that you can come around more.

Offline PvtHudson

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • An option that forbids planting forest in arid tile, as well as auto-spreading of forest into arid tile. Another level of the same option could kill off forest if tile beneath it becomes arid. Can make terraforming more diverse for those who used to forest "from sea to sea". Can also give a thrill to those who happen to planetfall at Upland Wastes, Uranium Flats, or Unity Wreckage. By the way: am I the only one who plays with 1-2-0 forests, and finds them still almost OP?
    Another suggestion I saw somewhere on the forum: transfer "Prevent airdrops" function from Aerospace Complex to Tachyon Field. Loads off part of value from over-useful Aerospace Complex, and at the same time makes airdrop prevention map more observable.

Offline PvtHudson

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • An option that lets everyone to decide for themselves: is Probe Team ability to provide circumvention of Zones of Control to regular units a bug or feature? I.e., when the option is set, regular unit trying to move to tile with friendly Probe Team (and without friendly regular units) is not exempted from ZoC check. Sorry if I missed that already has been implemented.
    Also I'd like to once again raise the question of non-finishing airstrikes. I'm afraid, this feature as described in http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=17418.0 has been over-engineered and is therefore hard to implement. To me, it is quite sufficient in its original edit:
    Attack by air unit cannot reduce land unit's health below 10% outdoor, 50% in base or bunker. Ideally, collateral damage to population from Nerve Gas Pods should still apply. Probe teams can be obliterated, inglourious basterds they are! And probably SAM land units must fight to the death.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    XP Compatibility patch
    -=-
    7 (3%)
    Gog version for Windows
    -=-
    45 (22%)
    Scient (unofficial) patch
    -=-
    22 (10%)
    Kyrub's latest patch
    -=-
    13 (6%)
    Yitzi's latest patch
    -=-
    77 (38%)
    AC for Mac
    -=-
    2 (0%)
    AC for Linux
    -=-
    5 (2%)
    Gog version for Mac
    -=-
    7 (3%)
    No patch
    -=-
    9 (4%)
    Total Members Voted: 201
    AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!”
    ~Academician Prokhor Zakharov Lab Three aftermath

* Select your theme

Facebook Comments