Author Topic: why cheaper production on Small maps?  (Read 327 times)

Offline bvanevery

why cheaper production on Small maps?
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • When I start on a Standard map, units have normal starting costs.  i.e. a Scout costs 10 minerals to produce.  When I start on a Small map, there seems to be a 10% reduction in cost, regardless of the faction being played.  A scout costs 9 minerals to produce.  Why is that?  Is unit cost tied to map size somewhere in the game configuration files?  I've never seen the reverse, i.e. units costing more on a Huge map.

Is it a bug?  I have verified the behavior starting the same faction on different maps.  I did it with more than 1 faction.  I tried deleting old saved games, hoping that would help.  I'll look to see if I can find any other stale configuration files lying around.

Further experimentation shows that Tiny maps have a 20% reduction in cost.  A Scout costs 8.  The behavior appears to be intentional; I just question why it's a good idea.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:51:53 PM by bvanevery »

Offline Nevill

Re: why cheaper production on Small maps?
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • The primary reason to play a smaller map is to have a more fast-paced game.

Techs are cheaper on smaller maps, too, and the base limits before bureaucracy hits are stricter.

Offline bvanevery

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've proven you can make the game be damn slow anyways.  If you take a lot of time building base improvements, overestimating the AI's ability to "hang in there".

Most recent game I'm in the middle of, I'm doing more of a Fundamentalist military stomp.  I took so much territory though, including the Monsoon Jungle, that I did decide to build virtual worlded network nodes and police units before embarking on the big assault of the Caretakers.  I've pwned 3 human factions that were in my way.  Miriam is extant, but as she's Fundamentalist as well she probably won't come after me.  Miriam stomped Morgan early and he escaped.  I haven't met him in his second start location; I bet it doesn't amount to anything by the time I destroy the Caretakers.  I think the game is so certain that I question whether I'll continue it.

I did end up continuing it.  Unfortunately, with the "garrisoning and building up" mindset, like putting Formers to work in that Monsoon Jungle I had captured.  There was no real need of any of that.  It made the game continue to take longer with no military progress.  I don't think I was in any real danger from the AI, because it is incompetent.  I could have continued to steamroller forwards with my existing units, instead of succumbing to the "well I really should go steal his techs" mentality.

It was threatening to take a very long time, even an indefinite amount of time, so I quit.  Oh well, I can try again.
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:09:24 AM by bvanevery »

Offline Monringstar

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • I want this to be the best of the day.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
    -=-
    14 (6%)
    XP Compatibility patch
    -=-
    7 (3%)
    Gog version for Windows
    -=-
    45 (22%)
    Scient (unofficial) patch
    -=-
    22 (10%)
    Kyrub's latest patch
    -=-
    13 (6%)
    Yitzi's latest patch
    -=-
    77 (38%)
    AC for Mac
    -=-
    2 (0%)
    AC for Linux
    -=-
    5 (2%)
    Gog version for Mac
    -=-
    7 (3%)
    No patch
    -=-
    9 (4%)
    Total Members Voted: 201
    AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

You are orphans, earthdeirdre, your homeworld already buried so young among the aeons. Yet now you fill the skies where we watched a million sunsets with flame and contrails, paying no heed to the hard lessons the universe has tried to teach you. Are you a breath of life to invigorate a complacent world, you earthhumans, or an insidious cancer which must be excised?
    ~Lady Deirdre Skye ’Conversations With Planet’

* Select your theme

Facebook Comments