Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Alien Crossfire > After Action Reports

Gaian Luck - AAR

(1/16) > >>

Mart:
This is After Action Report (AAR) for the Gaian Luck SMAC scenario (GotM, December 2014).
Link

Gaian Luck

Parts of the posts will be hidden in spoiler tags. You should not view it before playing indicated part of the game.
The spoilers will be removed after the GotM deadline, 31st March, 2015.

This game will enter competition in consolation standings, as I have some advantage to the scenario, creating it.
Let us start!-- -- -- = = = * * * = = = -- -- --
Approaching Alpha Centauri planetary system!

Unfortunately, a meteorite strikes the ship and damages vital spaceship systems.
In a hurry, surviving colonists rush into escape pods.

Chiron - our new home.

Shortly after planetfall, you could review reports about surrounding terrain. There is abundant plant life, fertile soil, rivers and sea coast.
Not only you grabbed with Deirdre more landing pods from U.N.S. Unity, but also will be able to establish a colony in a very good location.
Other mission officers could not be reached by radio. They have either equipment malfunction or they did not survive this emergency landing.
While regretting loss of life, you are not that worried about getting all those wrong ideas for future of this human colony out of your way.
Just last corrections on the tabview and report will be ready for Lady Deirdre Sky. Living these past days in almost constantly moving
escape pods has become unbearable to large portion of the crew. Decisions needed to be made.

Read after playing to MY 2130!
(click to show/hide)
MY 2101

Lady Deirdre decided, we settle near the river estuary.

Not everyone will remain, though, in this first settlement. XO Mart is ordered to form two groups with escape pods,
that will establish new bases in a distance for safety, in case any surprises of this alien world threaten the new colony.

U.N.S. Unity was able to scatter supply pods before its central processor malfunction.
Perimeter observers reported two of them to the west and east.
"Very well, we will send two groups in opposite directions and let them check these pods."

Earth's technology! How much we need it now! There are fully described small scale production lines
of basic tools, equipment, resources processing and more. Schematics and blueprints that will save
much time our engineers in manufacturing efforts.

"West team reporting. We've got a geological survey probe here. It got us data on mineral deposits in the area."
"Anything interesting?"
"Yes! There is a lot of stuff here. Easy access, but it will need to be some open-pit mining."

And this is where our salvaged from Unity terraforming equipment will be sent to, first.
We can expect 1-4-1 from this tile after forestation, and while food production will suffer,
minerals will aid making more terraforming equipment.
What shall we focus our production efforts on first? Terraformers! We need so much more terrain improvement:
* Connection with soon to be established new bases.
* Farming for population growth.
* Forestation for resources obtained from wood.
* Solar collectors for energy starved colonies.

On arrival, our ecologists very quickly determined basics of this planet's ecological system.

There are three directions that seem to be viable for our further efforts:
- Mobility in exploration.
- Information networks.
- Psychology of colonial society.

The foundation of scientific research, this is the way. Anything after this will benefit from information networks... And
facebook will work again! Not that the XO would aprove the unproductive part of it, but just to rise the spirit a little.

Mart:
(click to show/hide)
MY 2102

What is exactly that plant-like organism? Its tubular shoots having wide range of sizes form dense mats on the ground.
Looking to most people so unnatural, their redish color extending to the horizon makes it even more mysterious.
How large are these fields? They apparently compete with other flora on the planet.
For now, you order explorers to stay away from these life-forms.

MY 2103
Having 14 EC, rushing terraformer construction would be possible for 13 EC. This is acceptable.

MY 2104
West colonizer group encounters very abundant native plant life. They call it jungle.
Certainly, food production can benefit in that area.

adapted from:  Copyright Free Images

MY 2105

Open-pit mines are now forested. This is the only area outside of the base, that has a road to it.
We get from wood valuable chemicals and also burn it for energy and ash mineral content.
It is still small scale, but at least, we do not pollute that much.
2102-2105

Mart:
(click to show/hide)
MY 2106
Colonizer groups finally found good places for settlements. So two new bases at those locations.
And a note here, maybe someone knows why there? The surrounding terrain was not the only
factor in this decision...

And thanks to our new PRACX patch, this view is only a "click" away:

All three bases are constructing formers. It may seem like irresponsible to neglect scouting of the surrounding terrain,
but Deirdre agreed after consideration. We need resources and in large amounts.

MY 2107
Energy reserves are at 10 EC. Again, it is 13 EC to speed up construction. 9 EC will be spend, so we not only complete
terraformer, but also have 3 minerals overflow.

GNN News
Gaian News Network special (Uncensored - please review and edit before release!)
"Today we are visiting Lab section. Our scientists develop network systems. As they report, still years till completion.
Real spartan conditions of this place are the first impression one gets when entering this part of underground corridor.
It's dim, cold and too small to work efficiently. However, Gaian ingenuity at work can be seen here.
Every bit of space is used, but when you walk along the narrow passage in the corridor, none of the hanging shelves,
experimental setups, monitors or plant boxes hang in your way! Well then, here he is. Our network node project supervisor.
Tell me, how much work you think there is yet before we finally have internet again?"
"That would be four years by our best estimates..."
"That long! Why?"
"It's not an easy thing to bring it back again. Internet is not just wires. And we do have shortages."
"Oh... wow!!! what on Chiron is that???"

"Some stuff, from Earth, some electronic enthusiast packed it in a personal allowance."
"... And"
"Hmm, ...We thought about a museum."
"So why is it here?"
"Well, you know, nuclear-blast-proof electronics."
"... And who is going to drop a nuke on us?"
"... Well, you never know..."
"You are not making CPU's from this stuff, are you?"
"Oh no, no, ... not at all..."

MY 2110

Lily of the Valley completes a terraformer, which brings their number to four.

Six choices for further research:
- Doctrine Mobility
- Biogenetics
- Polymorphic Software
- Social Psych
- Industrial Economics
- Applied Physics

Let's B-line to Industrial Automation (crawlers), and there is only one tech in this set, that leads to it.
Industrial Economics, although we cannot use Free Market economy, Energy Bank is a very useful facility.
Will we use it early? Maybe.

This year 2110 is our first breakthrough in research, but not the first on the planet.
Who was it then? Zakharov? No, it was Morgan, and in 2106.

The new former from Lily base moves west and discovers a larger freshwater lake.

And Lily of the Valley base will soon be connected to the headquarter base.
The first former, independent from support, is busy building roads around Gaia's Landing.

2106-2110

Buster's Uncle:

--- Quote from: Mart on December 20, 2014, 09:16:54 PM ---And a note here, maybe someone knows why there? The surrounding terrain was not the only
factor in this decision...

--- End quote ---
(click to show/hide)They are spaced exactly for maximum territory for each base, and minimum land left out.

Mart:

--- Quote from: BUncle on December 20, 2014, 10:03:14 PM ---spoiler

--- End quote ---
(click to show/hide)Yes, exactly! :) I wonder, how many players notice that, and how many are playing that way too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version