Author Topic: Smart Home  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Rusty Edge

Re: Smart Home
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2019, 08:49:46 PM »
Personal Smart Home
*I got the used vent working and the programmable vent modified and installed. So far, so fine.

*The smart plugs are working fine, but they seem to be a deterrent. I haven't had much need to switch things on or off since
 I put them in, so they've barely been cycled beyond the initial set up tests.

* Mrs. Edge says not to screw with the modem until next year. So be it.

* Still haven't made adjustments to the doorbell sensors. My main complaint with it would be that there is some lag,
and delivery people are scurrying this time of year so they are back to the truck by the time I can respond.

----------------------------
General Smart Home

I've been trying to buy the best products for the task and make them work. The downside is that there are setup,
synch/connectivity issues and lag. I predict that Smart Home will sort out into Amazon, Google, Apple, and Samsung systems,
and that people will chose one and stick with it for ease of set-up and integration.
Some products, such as Chamberlain garage door openers seek to be compatible with all systems to retain market share.

Wirecutter has a new article about the Apple Home Kit system.

[Like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, HomeKit allows you to integrate smart-home devices from different
manufacturers into one system. It works more like a smart-home hub, like SmartThings and Wink,
but in this case the hub lives in the cloud. All HomeKit devices automatically “see” one another without requiring any setup.
And setting up automations—preset actions that involve one or more devices—is satisfyingly straightforward,
requiring only a few taps in Apple’s Home app, which comes preinstalled on iOS devices.

Unlike Alexa and Google Assistant, HomeKit is primarily a smart-home system with a voice search feature,
while the other two are voice search systems (for music and random queries) with smart-home features.
Many smart-home accessories are designed specifically for HomeKit, while Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility
are often just an add-on feature to an existing device. The Home app for HomeKit is a much more comprehensive
interface for smart-home control than the apps for Alexa and Google Assistant,
though the latter two systems are catching up.]

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2019, 04:08:46 AM »
Personal Smart Home
*I got the used vent working and the programmable vent modified and installed. So far, so fine.

*The smart plugs are working fine, but they seem to be a deterrent. I haven't had much need to switch things on or off since
 I put them in, so they've barely been cycled beyond the initial set up tests.

* Mrs. Edge says not to screw with the modem until next year. So be it.

* Still haven't made adjustments to the doorbell sensors. My main complaint with it would be that there is some lag,
and delivery people are scurrying this time of year so they are back to the truck by the time I can respond.

----------------------------
General Smart Home

I've been trying to buy the best products for the task and make them work. The downside is that there are setup,
synch/connectivity issues and lag. I predict that Smart Home will sort out into Amazon, Google, Apple, and Samsung systems,
and that people will chose one and stick with it for ease of set-up and integration.
Some products, such as Chamberlain garage door openers seek to be compatible with all systems to retain market share.

Wirecutter has a new article about the Apple Home Kit system.

[Like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, HomeKit allows you to integrate smart-home devices from different
manufacturers into one system. It works more like a smart-home hub, like SmartThings and Wink,
but in this case the hub lives in the cloud. All HomeKit devices automatically “see” one another without requiring any setup.
And setting up automations—preset actions that involve one or more devices—is satisfyingly straightforward,
requiring only a few taps in Apple’s Home app, which comes preinstalled on iOS devices.

Unlike Alexa and Google Assistant, HomeKit is primarily a smart-home system with a voice search feature,
while the other two are voice search systems (for music and random queries) with smart-home features.
Many smart-home accessories are designed specifically for HomeKit, while Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility
are often just an add-on feature to an existing device. The Home app for HomeKit is a much more comprehensive
interface for smart-home control than the apps for Alexa and Google Assistant,
though the latter two systems are catching up.]

Don't discount Huawei.  I've noticed they're making some huge strides in the smart lights, and have recently entered the smart home products. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
It started with us having trouble streaming during prime time.  Our area doesn't have fiber yet, and it's just plain too many people home doing nothing but streaming slowing down the entire area. 

But, it got me researching the house wifi net as it is.  I noticed some strange things with the network.  We have the modem, and presently 3 satellite pods to build a web.  Just the way the signal is going through walls wasn't always logical.  Sitting at my kitchen table, probably only 20 ft away from the modem, I'd connect to the extender in my shop, for instance.  The main TV was connecting to a basement pod, and various other speed issues through the house were identified just because. 

So, long story short, I bought 3 more extenders to boost our wifi net. 

Meanwhile, I downgraded the resolution on our main TV streaming to deal with the prime time slowdown.  Lower quality is better than constant stuttering. 

We're considering getting some more devices to make quarantine easier for everyone as this promises to drag on for the longer term. 

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (7%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
72 (28%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
26 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (33%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 253
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

And so we return again to the holy void. Some say this is simply our destiny, but I would have you remember always that the void EXISTS, just as surely as you or I. Is nothingness any less a miracle than substance?
~Sister Miriam Godwinson 'We must Dissent'

* Select your theme