Author Topic: Random crap with Uno.  (Read 362644 times)

Offline Unorthodox

Re: Random crap with Uno.
« Reply #5955 on: May 18, 2018, 06:26:46 AM »
Smoke and sirens is not a good way to be woken up in the middle of the night. 

(neighbor three doors north...)

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5956 on: May 19, 2018, 04:21:40 AM »
Well, just swapped to the old allergy medicine that has insomnia and abnormal dreams as side effects. 

The insomnia usually only hits me after about a week on it, and was why I'd switched to the other. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5957 on: May 19, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-9-ft-Gargantuan-Spider-5124419/301200861?AID=11210757&PID=6165631&SID=jhd99pjaro01av29001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6165631-_-11210757&cj=true

Check the pic of it on the house...

I don't think much store bought is 'cool' anymore, but this is a nice piece.  A little beef netting and lighting and you'd have a fantastic display. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5958 on: May 21, 2018, 02:08:47 AM »

That brings my options to the K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-3, and pie in the sky K-3 II.  Technically the KP is an option, but I'm not interested. 

K-5 ~300
K-5 II ~350
K-5 IIs ~400
K-3  ~450
K-3 II ~700

So, I've decided it's going to boil down to whichever presents itself first. 

K5 family has a shutter life expectancy of ~15000.   K3's ~30000.  Uno, roughly 1000/year. 

So, Either the RIGHT K5 family with a shutter count that'll give me a good 10 years, or a Budget K3. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5959 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
On the home front, Ordered a bunch of seed with weed control in mind, more or less just doing a holding pattern in the gardens this year. 

Native Wildflower mixes for the flower beds. 

Sorghum for the garden (though whether I grow for decor or silage is up in the air at the moment)

I do have some bush pumpkin seeds I saved from last year we'll give a go, but the only real thing I'm trying new this year is some pumpkin trees/pumpkin on a sticks. 

Offline Spacy

« Reply #5960 on: May 25, 2018, 02:11:02 AM »
Luck with the garden!

My new house most recent words were "it's not asbestos", which was a nice 20k relief. 
Known as Godking on mosts Civ forums (such as www.weplayciv.com )

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5961 on: May 25, 2018, 02:41:05 AM »
So, I didn't want to ask on Facebook, what started that little foray? 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5962 on: May 27, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
Odd confluence of events today. 

First of all was the surprise discovery of roughly triple what I had budgeted for the camera.  Apparently I haven’t really been spending my Christmas money since I was out of work and there was 4 years in the piggy bank instead of 1. 

Oddly this actually got me thinking of going cheaper on the camera so I could also upgrade a major piece on the aquarium. 

So I looked up a couple k30s for 250, but there was a couple k5s up for bid on eBay as well so I put a lowball 200 bid on those.  If I lost no big deal.  Well, I won one of those at 150. Now I can even upgrade some pumpkin lights.

Offline Spacy

« Reply #5963 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:17 AM »
We keep getting H2O in the basement along the front wall of the house.  It appears to mostly be groundwater that is seeping up, as we are on the edge of a ravine and the back is dry, and are higher than the neighbor next door so not surface water (well, some from the roof line, but mostly not). 

Solution was to chip out the concrete, install a french drain type system, and then redo the concrete floor (which, all has tile or carpet on it, so the trench would be invisible anyways).  As they were removing the concrete, they kept getting close to the air vents - which were all rusted out from the water - and which fell apart as they got anywhere close to them.  Then they realized that they air vents were "wrapped" in something.  Once they realized that it might be asbestos, they stopped work and left.  Took a week to get test results back, and not asbestos.  They couldn't say what it is, just not asbestos. 

We have AC people coming in this Friday to replace all the busted out vent pipes.  Drain people will be back out on the 13 & 14th (soonest they would come back out), and they will not only install the drain, but repair the concrete.  Wait a week or two for the concrete to cure, then carpet folks out.  Hopefully, by July, major work inside the house is done. 

Looking at getting new roof, and at a lot of retaining walls, outside still.  Also, found a carpenter ant nest in some structural beams, so trying to see what to do with that (along with the roof). 

Ah, home ownership of a money pit....

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5964 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:02 AM »

Looking at getting new roof, and at a lot of retaining walls, outside still.  Also, found a carpenter ant nest in some structural beams, so trying to see what to do with that (along with the roof). 

I've had excellent luck with Amdro ant block pellets, but they may not work in that location.   IF you can get them foraging and taking some back, that's the ticket. 

Might try a carpenter ant gel bait if you have the time and inclination to watch and know where to put it. 

Afraid a professional with foam is the only other option, but my money is on the bait before you go chemical foam/spray/dust.  Baits get the whole colony.  The others typically just give them time to regroup. 

I'd definitely broadcast some amdro around the house every couple years.     

Offline Spacy

« Reply #5965 on: May 30, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
I know roughly where to put it.  We are getting sawdust on the pool and on the lower beam every day. 

Hard part is getting to it.  Over the middle of the pool - 8' of water at that point, and a good 10 feet from the edge of the pool.  The exposed part of the beam is the bottom. 

Pellets won't work well, as they are not forging inside the house.  They are eating their way through the roof and going outside.  Inside is just H2O and a place that the flying ants get confused, land in the pool, and drown.  A gel or liquid might work, but access will be an issue, and as I said, they generally are not forging inside, and I don't want to try to change that habit even to try and bait them. 

One thing I am concerned with is that the chems will react with the other chems in the pool, or even worse just sit in the pool and get on us as we use it.  So, I am a bit paranoid about the whole thing. 

A roof R&R might be easy, as I can just have them strip that section, and I can then gain access to the top of the beam, put in some pellets and dust that will basically be contained, and then have them redo the surface with some good shielding.  I am also thinking of switching from asphalt shingles to metal, and that will help with future issues as well. 

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #5966 on: May 30, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
I must admit to a fondness for metal roofs from when I was a  farmer. When they leak, simply paint them. Usually, they shed their snow load by themselves. They don't catch fire from mere sparks. When it's copper patina green, it looks expensive. The potential hazard is using roofing nails or screws of a dissimilar metal because it causes corrosion. So does an accumulation of pine needles.

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5967 on: May 31, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
Carpenter ants don’t eat wood.  I know it means little to your situation.  Just the sawdust is not from foraging it’s just nest building.

In fact, their location may indicate a secondary infestation up there.  That high, they are likely eating protein rather than sugars, so possibly more insects.   

Gel is your best bet imo.  Liquid chems won’t get the queen.  An expert, a stethoscope, and foam is the nuke it from orbit option here.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:32:26 AM by Unorthodox »

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #5968 on: June 11, 2018, 04:40:53 AM »
Anyone who's tracked my cycles long knows that this stonehenge project is really dragging on me right now.  I like to wrap up my main projects by April/may and focus on other things through the summer. 

Combined with the Halloween in summer festival being moved up to next weekend instead of July, and battling some shoulder issues stemming from moving so much earth and whatnot, it's been rough month or so. 

I finally just pulled the trigger and started cobbling with the interesting bits of root I saved from the tree we pulled with some limbs from a neighbor's tree.

Except I'm not sure which end is 'front' and which is 'back' at the moment.  I just wanted to see where this thing went, and am trying some much more weatherproof methods than normal thus far.

(notice the mound of rocks in the background.  We're to the decorative phase, at least)

Offline Rusty Edge

« Reply #5969 on: June 11, 2018, 04:56:34 AM »
I like the forked foot on this monster.

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
14 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
8 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
56 (25%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
22 (9%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (6%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
83 (37%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (2%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
9 (4%)
No patch
-=-
11 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 224
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

Having now established a secure perimeter, we've made ourselves relatively safe from enemy incursions. But against the seemingly random attacks by Planet's native life, only our array warning sensors can help us, for the mind worms infiltrate through every crevice and chew through anything softer than plasma-steel.
~Lady Deirdre Skye 'The Early Years'

* Select your theme