Author Topic: Random crap with Uno.  (Read 434855 times)

Offline Unorthodox

Re: Random crap with Uno.
« Reply #6360 on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:37 AM »
Bonzai...I really kinda like the concept of making creatures for random pumpkin heads as a general direction. 

Maybe not the Mike Wasowski (sp) pumpkin, but the general idea. 

Unfortunately the lens on Vera was too tight to get a shot of pithenge. 

Here's the cell phone.

I've also purchased a good 80% of the supplies for next year as well.  That's the base to 2.0 on top, and his 6' tall standing up to the left.  A good 10'x6' solid wall of foam panels. 

Offline E_T

« Reply #6361 on: November 13, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
Nice, the frosted pumpkins add an additional effect, too...
Three time Hugo Award Winning http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php
Worship the Comic here
Get your schlock mercenary fix here

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #6362 on: November 20, 2019, 02:46:02 AM »
If it ever finishes processing. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #6363 on: December 01, 2019, 04:47:38 AM »
Whelp...got my raw materials for the year...

Bonzai decked out for the season...

The three wise T-Rex, and a neighbor donated a tree to the cause.  Guess they found a black christmas tree in a closet when they moved in and figured I could make use of it. 

How else does one decorate a dino tree?

I had MANY people stop their cars and comment on the tree as we were putting it up. 

We've had ~30" of snow since the pics though.  At one point, Bonzai looked like he was slowly emerging from a glacier as he's right in the shovel throw path and we buried him. 

Offline E_T

« Reply #6364 on: December 01, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »
hmmm, skeleton dino/thing, emerging from a long stay in the Glacier Ice...   
Worship the Comic here

Offline E_T

« Reply #6365 on: December 01, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
and it looks all so kewl!!
Worship the Comic here

Offline E_T

« Reply #6366 on: December 02, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
Quoted from Rhoth in the WPC/Fantasy football Discord channel

Nope, @SpacedC0wb0y  lost, which makes me about 99% certain that he and @alek122 are out of the playoffs, and @Spacy Cadette and UnO are in.  I believe UnO will be facing Dork next week, with GK facing the Cheesebreads...excuse me...con.
Even if GK manages to score 75+ points tomorrow and beat Dork I believe the opponents will remain the same (unless GK's remaining three dudes combine for about 150 points which would put him ahead of Dork in the tiebreaker and mean that UnO would face GK and Dork and Con would square off.
I find that to be a highly unlikely outcome though.

QUESTION FROM ME: No Wildcard slot?

There are 4 Wildcard slots.  Dork, Con, Gk and UnO got them.  My grandmother and I are the conference champs with the two best records so we get the two byes next week.

Sounds like interesting times...
Worship the Comic here

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #6367 on: March 18, 2020, 07:32:46 PM »
Well, that marks number 5 of aftershocks near m5.  They’re saying to expect thousands of aftershocks over the next few days with a 20% chance of them being over 5. 

Did not realize earthquakes came in such flavors though.  We’ve had jolting bounces, slow rolls, and long rumbles, all measuring around the same magnitude. 

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #6368 on: March 19, 2020, 12:24:11 AM »
So.  Home.  Safe. 

Earthquake ~7 AM.  It's early, most people not in yet, however, I am sitting in an area with the company's safety manager, the Legal manager, and the COO. 

Between some finance folks who really should be working from home SCREAMING and spouting to hide in doorways and the safety manager going into a straight up panic attack, I start barking orders in my dad voice.  My kids know my dad voice doesn't mean I'm pissed off, but I know I sound unusually gruff at the same time. 

Rattling stops, Safety manager is still under his desk mumbling what do we do?  COO is asking the same but more manic, and I start giving these two flat out orders in dad voice, and initiate the disaster plan my own damn self, telling them both to work the list, I'll go clear the building. 

With the work from home edicts, our management structure is thin as most the peons don't have telecommute capability so most leadership is gone.  I round up and start ordering everyone to the muster points.  We ended up having a few lights that had fallen and resulting breakers that had blown, so I mark the areas and attempt to report to the COO to return the workforce except for the indicated areas, as those will need some cleanup and an electrician.  Neither COO nor Safety manager are anywhere to be found. 

So I go all barker and order everyone back in except for the impacted areas.  Them, I order to our shelter in place location until we get it the damage cleaned up.  If they need to get home, I authorize buddy system to get their personal effects to get outta dodge. 

COO and Safety were seen entering our sister building (also my company's) but have not exited.  Violating disaster protocol as that building had assigned sweepers who actually did their jobs, but we can't clear it till everyone's accounted for, so I head in. 

They are running through a number of what if's on the second floor.  I express my concerns it's raining and cold and you have 200 people waiting for us to clear this, we can have the what ifs on aftershock scenarios later, take them out, and order everyone back to work with the same if you need to get home, your free to get your personal effects and leave.  This latter got me a bit of a stink eye from the COO. 

Aftershock at 7:45 institutes a brief repeat at the sister building evacuating and returning.  It wasn't big enough to evacuate in the first place. 

Safety manager nopes right out of the place.

COO promotes me to lead on the disaster as "I'm impressed with how you took charge"

8:00, gas leak reported at sister building.  Running outside to check, I'm immediately slapped with the smell on exiting my building.  It's not gas.  I theorize it's a Utah phenomenon known as Lake Stink.  On occasion the GSL gets stirred up and the smell drifts in when the wind is in the right direction.  Wind coming off the lake, I figured the earthquake stirred up the lake and presto.  (later learned this was actually a hydrochloric acid leak at Kennecott mine, very similar smell)

4 locations in Utah reporting to me now.  Various concerns that are frankly insane.  What if the building collapses.  What if a fire breaks out.  What if a gas line breaks.  Follow the freaking manual idiots! 

~9:30, 2 more shocks have happened, but most everyone is now home checking on things.  Someone.  SOMEWHERE posts on facebook that insert authoritative agency here is expecting a 9.0 quake in the next 30 minutes.  This gets picked up by a morning DJ, goes viral, and people fly into an ABSOLUTE PANIC. 

Screaming, at least one case of someone being shoved down stairs. 

I actually have to break into the PA system and put this down.  (you can't predict earthquakes first of all, and our fault maxes out at 7.4ish second of all)

1:20 a 4.8 aftershock sends the last remaining die hards home as it seemed to last a lot longer despite being 'gentle'. 

oi. 

Offline Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €196
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  
  • AC2 is my instrument, my heart, as I play my song.
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder Downloads Contributor AC2 Wiki contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #6369 on: March 19, 2020, 12:35:38 AM »
THAT is epic.  Congrats on balls, brains and a big voice.

Offline Unorthodox

« Reply #6370 on: March 19, 2020, 03:33:08 AM »
Kinda odd I realize I've always kind of flipped into disaster control mode.  Since 6 years old.  I give the authority structure about 2 seconds before I flip into if no one else is stepping up, fine. 

Offline Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €196
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Someone thinks a Winrar is You!  Because there are times when people just need a cute puppy  Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur  
  • Planet tales writer Smilie Artist Custom Faction Modder Downloads Contributor AC2 Wiki contributor
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #6371 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:03 AM »
...I did something like that once, nothing as impressive as a safety disaster, but kinda ended up acting entertainment director on opening day of a renfair with no one in charge.  I'll say more when it's not past my bedtime, but panicking people, turns out, will totally listen to the loud guy expressing an opinion with confidence...

Offline Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €196
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #6372 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
So what happened was, I'd been hired for my first gig as a stage act for a small faire in East Texas.  I showed up out there over a week early, and having nothing better to do once the car was unpacked and my tent pitched, I showed up for the cast training stuff and pitched in - buncha people from Shreveport LA, over the state line, and most all their first rodeo.  It was something like my 15th over five years.  I was able to help...

I somewhat noticed, but in no way appreciated the severity of, kinda poor morale.  The owner's wife was the Entertainment Director, and it weren't her first rodeo either, but I'm not sure she'd ever worked the show end of renfairs at all.  Honestly, she appeared to suffer from a pretty bad case of being lazy, too, which was not a great look combined with being in over her head doing the show part of the show and being a terrible manager of people drama.

The owner, now, the main difference between him and The Pig is that he was a lot younger and better-looking.

-Most all of this is hindsight; I didn't even suspect I'd walked into a hopeless rolling disaster until the morning of opening day, though I'd certainly noticed a lot of problems...

---

My mommie's calling.  More after lunch.

Offline Buster's Uncle

• Through art, I
  • Transcend
  • €196
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Factions
    • Awards
« Reply #6373 on: March 19, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
So, opening day rolled around, and that morning, I still hadn't been given a schedule for when-all stage my show went on, where.  As Town Cryer, I was to MC the opening gate show, which had not been rehearsed or really even much discussed in depth; okay, we were gonna wing it, but I could do that, and no problem for me.  I imagine the street cast felt differently, but I could just openly turn around in my spot over the gate, and see who looked ready to go on and introduce them, maybe jump in and ask silly questions if someone inexperienced got in a jamb.  So I was somewhat legitimately in charge of the pre-show, though I hadn't thought of it that way...

Mind you, this was all for a strictly imaginary crowd, it being a small show with a storied history, and it being a before opening pre-show.  -Y'know, but the kids needed the dress rehearsal, and I needed any run-through practice I could get, notwithstanding confidence about working live on the fly - and it's a showbiz work ethic thing, too.

There was something about the director staying up late to sew stuff for a faire wedding -I will not digress into what I think of people getting married at a renfair, but it's not real nice- and was AWOL, as was the owner and a couple other people who were Supposed to be Officially Managers.  (The list suggests, in retrospect, an unfortunately-timed late-night orgy, I kid you not; these people were really Something Else.)

So while we were waiting for time to start, it registered on me that the entire street cast standing inside the gate -an arch with no actual gates to close- in plain sight of the (imaginary) audience was bad practice, and I raised my voice to express that opinion.

And I'm telling this story in a way that you won't expect it, but I was genuinely shocked when the whole group immediately moved off to the left, out of sight of the parking lot.

-I've told a lot that makes it clear that all the novices naturally saw me as senior and manage-y, I'd participated with confidence/authority/experience in their late training, but I didn't realize all that on the spot.

The gate show went --- okay, we'd not have been embarrassed if there'd have been an audience to see, and I got surrounded, as soon as I came off with a lot of "what do now?" questions, and said The Show Must Go On for the first and definitely not last time that day and it was mostly knucklehead stuff easy to resolve.

Pretty soon, and THIS felt weird, I had the other stage acts coming up to ask the Only Person Onsite Acting In Charge what to do about having no stage-show schedules -after opening time we actually had a few customers wander in- and I'd go "Well, the show must go on" and then tell them to look both ways before jumping on a empty stage, but grab it if it's free, especially if people were sitting waiting for a show.  Danged if I know a better answer all these years later.  It felt strange because bossing around the street locals who didn't know what they were doing was completely different than I, who had not set foot as a stage act yet, telling a bunch of veterans -most all were- to go wing it until someone handed them a schedule.  I also said "Use your good judgement" constantly to them and the street people alike.  It did seem to work out, though the street gang kept me busy putting out fires all weekend and I never got to start my glorious career as a stage act until the second weekend.

The owner did turn up in the middle of the day, and did grant me official status as management.

-And that's my Brush With Bossiness story.  There's more later about my tenure at the Four Winds Renaissance Fair, but it's all one of those Why I Don't Renfair Anymore stories that I still don't talk about. No Good Dead Goes Unpunished, is all...

Offline Spacy

« Reply #6374 on: March 19, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
Glad you're OK Uno!
Known as Godking on mosts Civ forums (such as www.weplayciv.com )

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Select language:

* Community poll

SMAC v.4 SMAX v.2 (or previous versions)
-=-
18 (6%)
XP Compatibility patch
-=-
9 (3%)
Gog version for Windows
-=-
77 (29%)
Scient (unofficial) patch
-=-
28 (10%)
Kyrub's latest patch
-=-
14 (5%)
Yitzi's latest patch
-=-
85 (32%)
AC for Mac
-=-
2 (0%)
AC for Linux
-=-
5 (1%)
Gog version for Mac
-=-
10 (3%)
No patch
-=-
12 (4%)
Total Members Voted: 260
AC2 Wiki Logo

* Random quote

The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!
~Fedor Petrov (Vice Provost for University Affairs)

* Select your theme